Standing water: the term may refer to any amount of water that stays in one place rather than flowing, until it becomes stagnant and unclean. In the property restoration world, standing water can mean many different things, but it always means trouble. Fortunately, our cleaning and restoration professionals at FP Property Restoration are available 24/7 for emergency service, so you never have to worry about standing water affecting your home or commercial property. We offer expert water and storm damage repairs, as well as mold remediation to negate ongoing complications related to water damage. Keep reading to learn the top five dangers of standing water, and do not hesitate to call FP Property Restoration if you experience significant flooding or leaks on your property.
The 5 Biggest Dangers of Standing Water Are:
- Property Damage: It almost goes without saying that standing water can ruin any part of your home. If left untouched for too long, standing water may destroy drywall, cause swelling in wood, weaken your house’s foundation, and generally cause irreversible structural damage. The longer you wait to deal with standing water, the greater chance there is that your home will never be the same, so make sure to call a professional restoration company to get rid of it ASAP.
- Mold Growth: As mentioned above, mold tends to follow significant water damage extremely closely. While there is always a small amount of mold spores present in your air, significant mold growth can lead to serious health problems for your entire family—especially if we’re talking about black mold or other types of toxic mold that tend to arise in the wake of water damage. If enough mold begins to grow on your property, it can inflame allergy and asthma symptoms and cause coughing, sneezing, skin irritation, and itchy eyes. The good news is that FP Property Restoration is a fully licensed mold remediation company, meaning we have what it takes to get rid of mold as quickly and comprehensively as possible.
- Viruses & Bacteria: Unfortunately, mold is not the only biological contaminant that may be found in standing water. Standing water can also contain various viruses and bacteria, including the Norwalk virus and rotaviruses. Meanwhile, toxic wastewater, commonly known as “black water,” often carries bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella.
- Parasites: In addition to the pathogens mentioned above, you may find parasites in standing water such as Entamoeba, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium. These organisms, like all parasites, feed off host organisms, draining them for food and making them sick in the process. In other words, the only parasite you should want in your home is the movie.
- Pests: If the biological threats mentioned above weren’t enough to convince you of how harmful standing water is, maybe the pests that it attracts will. Wherever you’ve got an excess of water, you’re likely to get an excess of mosquitoes and other flying insects. Then there are rats, mice, and other rodents that come scurrying at the hint of wastewater. Keep in mind, insects and mosquitoes may carry viruses, and rodents are known for spreading disease, basically making pests two threats in one. This is just another reason why, both for your physical and mental health, it is important to deal with standing water right away.
Get fast and effective help with standing water from an experienced cleaning and restoration team. Call FP Property Restoration at (888) 408-2335for water removal, structural drying, and sewage cleanup, or contact us for a free estimate online.