Following a flood, fire, earthquake, hurricane, or any other natural disaster, you need to be extremely careful upon returning home. In order to help you stay safe when you come back home after a disaster, our experts at FP Property Restoration have outlined some safety tips below.
When Not to Enter Your Home
There are times when it isn’t safe to enter your home at all. If you notice any of the following signs, or if you have any concerns about your safety, contact a qualified building inspector to examine your home.
You should not enter your home if:
- You can smell gas
- There is floodwater surrounding your home
- Your home has not been inspected and declared safe by authorities following a fire
Enter Your Home with Caution
Even if you none of the above conditions apply to you, we advise you to enter your home with extreme caution. You may find upon entering your home that is still unsafe, in which case, you should leave immediately. If you hear a hissing sound, smell gas, or notice that your roof, foundation, or chimney has cracks, safely exit your home. If you don’t notice these things, you may proceed with caution.
Handle the following with care:
- Food: Safely dispose of any food that has come into contact with flood water. It should now be considered contaminated and unsafe for consumption.
- Appliances: If your appliances have come into contact with flood water, go outside to your fuse box and turn your electricity off. Do not attempt to turn your appliances on.
- Plumbing system: If you notice that your pipes are cracked, broken, or otherwise damaged, turn your water valve off.
- Lights: Do not turn your lights until you are positive that your electrical system is safe.
- Cabinets: Open all cabinets very slowly and be aware that things might fall.
- Basement: If your basement is flooded with water, do not attempt to take care of it yourself. Improper flood removal can result in collapsed walls and buckled floors.
Enlist the Help of Our Professionals
At FP Damage Restoration, we specialize in restoring properties following natural disasters. We know how to safely and effectively mitigate damage caused by fires, floods, storms, and other natural disasters. In order to ensure your home is safe, you need a team of professionals who can locate the source of problems in your home and provide the right solutions.
Call FP Property Restoration at (888) 408-2335 to learn more about our services.