If your home has recently experienced water damage, you already know what a harrowing experience it can be. Whether from flooding, storms, or other causes, getting rid of excess water is a difficult process—and then there’s everything that comes after the water removal, too. For instance, water damage is often accompanied by mold growth, as mold thrives in dank, moist environments. And then there’s the actual drying of your property to consider. Keep reading to learn how to dry out walls after water damage, courtesy of our experienced cleaning and restoration experts at FP Property Restoration. And remember, if your home has recently experienced a disaster, FP is here 24/7 for you!
5 Steps to Dry Out Your Walls After Water Damage
- Remove Paintings & Objects from Your Walls: There’s simply no way to dry your walls while paintings, portraits, and other decorations still hang on them. To keep these items safe and to help the cleaning process go as smoothly as possible, you should always take down paintings and other objects soon after water damage occurs.
- Open Up Windows & Doors: Opening up windows and doors is an almost surefire way to move along the most-water damage drying process. This will also help to air out your house, and reduce any lingering odors caused by the damage.
- Run Fans: By positioning fans on either side of the room in your house where the water damage occurred, and pointing them at the walls, you can actually get rid of a lot of lingering moisture. This is another step that will help your house smell better too, as fans can help extract moisture from damp walls and the surrounding air.
- Strip Away Molding, Baseboards & Wallpaper: Okay, we know that this process may sound a little more extreme, and to be fair, it is. But by stripping your walls as bare as possible, you will be able to dry them out faster, as molding, baseboards, and wallpaper will only slow the process down. Moreover, it is better to strip away parts of your walls than to let moisture cling to them too long, forcing you to replace large portions of your walls at a time. And if you don’t want to do this on your own, you can always…
- Call a Professional: If you have experienced extensive water damage and are not equipped to help your property dry out on its own, you can always call our team at FP Property Restoration. We offer a comprehensive structural drying service for both homes and businesses. Our technicians can provide professional dehumidification designed to not only dry out your walls, but also reduce the amount of mold spores in your air. And with other cleaning and repair services to ensure your home stays safe and comfortable no matter what, FP Property Restoration has everything you need.