As licensed mold remediators, FP Property Restoration knows how to get rid of mold quickly and efficiently. We offer inspection and testing to determine if you have a mold problem and how severe that problem is for your house, as well as mold removal service designed to prevent mold growth now and in the future. However, it can be hard to know whether you need mold service in the first place, as this pesky fungus is prone to growing in dark corners and hidden crevices. Mold can cause serious health problems for your household, especially if there are any immunocompromised people in your family, so it is always best to deal with it as soon as possible. Keep reading for the top five signs that you have a hidden mold problem, and remember to call FP Property Restoration for cutting-edge mold remediation right away if you suspect you have an issue.
The Top 5 Signs of Hidden Mold Growth
- Musty Odors: A stale, musty, unpleasant smell is a major sign of mold growth, and should never be ignored by homeowners. Think about the odor you would detect in a locker room—that scent of moisture and organic matter that’s reminiscent of dirty socks. Follow this smell to the source if it pops up in your home, and if you cannot find the source, just call FP Property Restoration for a professional mold inspection.
- Excess Moisture: The one thing mold absolutely needs to thrive is high levels of moisture. Therefore, if you notice consistent condensation and moisture buildup in your home, there is a good chance you could soon be dealing with a mold problem as well. This could be little water bubbles sticking to your windows or dripping coming from your pipes, but whatever the cause is, you should make an effort to find and eliminate it ASAP. Other than cleaning up water and keeping your home as tidy as possible, another good way to deal with moisture issues is having your plumbing inspected, to see if you have any leaks. You may also want to purchase a dehumidifier, as it is the combination of humidity and moisture that creates a perfect environment for mold growth.
- Water Stains: Again, so many mold issues go back to water. If your home has previously experienced water damage, you may think you are in the clear after cleaning that water up. However, lingering stains tend to indicate a larger issue, including structural damage and mold growth underneath your walls, ceilings, and flooring. At FP Property Restoration, we offer professional structural drying and dehumidification for just this type of problem. If you have recently had a sewage leak, flood, or even a broken pipe, watch out for water stains, and do not hesitate to call a technician to see if you are dealing with hidden mold growth.
- Strange Fur or Spots: As mentioned above, it can be difficult to find mold since it often grows in dank dark areas like basements and crawlspaces. However, it can also be difficult to find mold even if you have seen traces of it, since not all mold appears the same. For instance, mold can manifest in black, white, orange, green, or brown specks that looks like errant fur throughout your home. It is common for flakes to show up on wallpaper or drywall after water damage, but the fact that they may vary in size, shape, and color can make it hard to know whether you’re seeing mold or not. Bottom line: err on the side of caution. If you see strange spots, call a professional—especially if you have noticed any of the other signs mentioned on this list.
- Health Problems: When too many mold spores are in the air, they can make their way into your lungs and have a negative effect on your health. As we stated before, this is especially bad for individuals who are immunocompromised, as well as anyone with allergies, asthma, or respiratory issues. But large quantities of mold spores can affect virtually anyone in your home, manifesting in health problems such as coughing, sneezing, itching, watery eyes, sore throats, headaches, nausea, and even joint pain. If there is no other explanation for these health problems, make sure to call FP Property Restoration today and have someone check for hidden mold growth.
FP Property Restoration is available by phone at (888) 595-1105, or you can contact us online.