They say that April showers bring May flowers, but for Florida homeowners, the spring rainy season can bring a ton of problems, too. From leaky roofs and clogged gutters that accumulate over time, to flooding and storms that strike all at once, it’s important to be prepared for water damage during springtime in Florida. Keep reading to learn more about how to prevent home water damage during Florida’s rainy season, and remember that for all your water damage restoration needs, you can always count on FP Property Restoration.
The Best Ways to Stop Water Damage This Rainy Season
- Seal Up Cracks & Holes: A good maintenance task for any time of the year, calking holes around your property and weather-stripping doors and windows can go a long way towards preventing excess water from seeping into your property during the rainy season.
- Clean Out Your Gutters: If your gutters have been collecting leaves throughout fall and winter without being cleaned, now is the time to scoop them out. In addition to preventing proper drainage, clogged and damaged gutters can contribute to standing water and leaks in your property, speaking of which…
- Hire a Roofer to Check for Leaks: Roof leaks are never a good thing, and if your house already has a leak in it, it’s only going to get worse during the rainy season. Climbing on your roof is already dangerous, and even more so if there is a leak up there. That’s why we suggest hiring a professional roofer to inspect your roof and determine whether you need a repair for you.
- Install a Sump Pump: A lot of Florida homeowners do not know much about sump pumps, as many homeowners in this state do not have basements. However, if you do have a basement, or you live in another rare type of property with space below it, installing a sump pump is essential to prevent water from pooling. Installing a battery-operated sump pump is an even better precaution, as this will prevent flooding in your basement even if there is a power outage.
- Put in Storm Shutters: As our storm damage experts at FP Property Restoration know firsthand, storms are just a reality of life in the state of Florida. That’s why if you have not already put in storm shutters on your property, you should do so ASAP. Installing these devices is extremely important for protecting your windows during a hurricane/tropical storm, and preventing glass and other debris from flying into your home.
Have you experienced water damage this rainy season? Call FP Property Restoration now for clean-up at (888) 595-1105, or send us a message online.