There are a lot of dangerous things that can happen in your home, from fires to water damage. However, few things are as insidious as a sewage leak. Sewage damage can occur due to storms, or because of accidental flooding. To make matters worse, when wastewater begins to leak into your property, you may notice it right away, or you can go weeks without knowing what’s happening. That’s why it is important to call a licensed remediation professional for sewage cleanup right away if you experience this issue in your home. Keep reading to learn the top dangers of a sewage leak, and remember that for all of your emergency restoration and cleanup needs, you can always call FP Property Restoration.
5 Reasons It’s Important to Call for Sewage Cleanup ASAP
- Diseases: There are a myriad of diseases one can contract from being exposed to raw sewage—too many to even list here, in fact. Just a few to be aware of off the top include Cryptosporidiosis, Encephalitis, Gastroenteritis, Giardiasis, Hepatitis A, and even Typhoid Fever. And this isn’t even addressing diseases stemming from…
- Bacteria: Bacterium like Campylobacter jejuni, Listeria Listeria, E. Coli, and Salmonella can all be found in raw sewage, and may result in serious bacterial infections. While not all bacterium causes negative health effects, many of the bacterium in raw sewage can lead to disease, and considering all the other pathogens found in wastewater, it is essential to call for cleanup as soon as you notice exposed sewage anywhere on your property.
- Gasses: Accidentally drinking or touching sewage water is bad enough, but did you know that there can be health repercussions from just breathing around it? Sewage may emit gases including methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulphide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, all of which can be fatal in high concentrations.
- Greywater Damage/Blackwater Damage: There are two different types of water damage that result from sewage leaks. The first is greywater damage, known as Category 2 Water Damage. Greywater damage results from issues like toilet overflows with urine but no feces, discharges from washing machines, and sump pump backups. Greywater damage can be very serious, but it is not nearly as serious as Blackwater damage, aka Category 3 Water Damage. This includes sewage seeping in from rising flood waters, seawater, and river or groundwater. The important thing to remember, however, is that both require professional assistance, and the sooner you act the better, because the longer you wait the more you will have to deal with…
- Cleanup Expenses: All water damage can be expensive to take care of, but when sewage water seeps into your property, it can be especially devastating, not only presenting health problems but potentially affecting the structural integrity of your home. That’s why as soon as you know you have a sewage leak, it is essential to call a professional like our experts at FP Property Restoration.
If your home has experienced a sewage issue, call FP Property Restoration 24/7 at (888) 408-2335, or just fill out our contact form online.