Have you recently been through a house fire? At FP Property Restoration, our fire damage experts have everything it takes to help your property look and feel good as new. However, even if the fire only affected part of your home, it is key that we begin the restoration process right away, and that you start preparing your house for recovery. Keep reading to learn why it’s important to act quickly after a house fire and what you can do to speed the restoration process up.
10 Steps to Take to Get Your Property Up and Running ASAP After a House Fire
- Make Sure You Have a Safe Place to Stay: Even in faster restorations, staying in a house that has experienced fire and smoke damage is extremely unsafe. Make sure you have a safe place to stay while our restoration team begins the service process.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider: While house fires are typically covered under homeowners insurance, certain types of damage can be harder to receive compensation for. For instance, you should be able to get covered for a wildfire, but if your insurance company believes there was something you could’ve done to prevent the fire from affecting your home, you could have a problem on your hands. That’s why it is essential to contact your insurance provider immediately after a house fire. Waiting to do so will make getting coverage more difficult, as most providers have rules about how long you can wait to file a claim.
- Contact the Fire Department: One thing that makes the insurance process a lot easier is getting your hands on the copy of the fire report. Contact your local fire department as soon as you can to retrieve this necessary information.
- Make Sure Your Home Is Boarded Up: You will want to ensure your home is protected while you are away from it. FP Property Restoration can help your house get boarded up, so no one enters it illegally while you are away.
- Retrieve Essential Possessions: When fleeing from a house fire, chances are you will not have time to take everything you want to. You should come back as soon as you can though, to figure out which items can be salvaged. Luckily, FP Property Restoration offers packout and storage service, so your most prized possessions always stay safe while we are restoring your home.
- Visit a Doctor/Pet: It is a good idea to get a check-up after a house fire, especially if you can feel the effects of smoke in your lungs. This may be even more essential for your pets, who probably won’t have a way of telling you they are ill.
- Follow-Up on Your Mortgage/Other Payments: Even if yourhouse is damaged in a fire, that does not mean you won’t have to make mortgage payments. The same is true of your car payments, and many other bills. To stop Internet service call your cable company, and make sure to call the head of your local municipalities for information on shutting down your utilities.
- Calculate Losses: Even with compensation from your insurance company, the cost of recovering from a fire can be extremely costly. The sooner you start to calculate expenses and losses after any damage occurs, the better off you will be in the long-run.
- Check in with Your Mental Health: Going through something like a house fire is not only physically taxing, it can take a huge toll on your mental health, too. For the sake of yourself and your family, don’t forget to check-in with each other and make sure everybody is doing okay.
- Hire an Experienced Restoration Company: FP Property Restoration is your go-to provider for all things fire damage restoration. Our team is available 24/7 to get started helping you right away, and with a reputation for always getting the job done right, you already know you can trust our restoration pros to help you get back on your feet following a house fire.