We recently discussed how to know whether your home is at greater risk for flooding. As a sort of companion piece to that, our St. Petersburg property restoration pros are now going to break down how to keep yourself and your family safe during a flood. Keep reading for our comprehensive list of flood safety tips, and make sure to contact FP Property Restoration for water removal and more.
Our Comprehensive Tips to Keep Your Family Safe from Flooding
If a flood is likely to hit your property, you should:
- Come up with a flood emergency plan ahead of time—where you’re going to go, what supplies you will need, etc.
- Find out your home’s elevation above flood stage as soon as possible—this is key for staying aware of how likely rising water is to affect your property.
- Evacuate your property immediately, bringing any important documents with you and driving to a safe area before road conditions worse. (Note: you should NOT evacuate your property if a flood has already started, as this is extremely dangerous. Almost all individuals killed during flooding are those who try to drive through flooded roadways.)
- Stay up-to-date on conditions by following the news.
If a flood has already hit your property, you should:
- Avoid spots of your property where flooding is particularly bad.
- Get to the highest point of elevation possible.
- Never attempt to cross flowing water, as you may not realize how powerful the flood is.
- Keep children and pets away from flooded areas.
- Stay away from all electrical equipment.
- If you have access to media, stay up-to-date on conditions by following the news. (Note, only do this if it does not put you at risk of going against point 5.)
What Should I Do After the Flood Hits My Property?
The time immediately following a flood is critical to maintaining your family’s safety. If you have already fled your property, do not return until the authorities clear you to do so. If you have remained on your property during the flood, make sure to contact the authorities immediately, and get to a safe place away from your home or business. You should not handle any food affected by flood water, and you should continue to stay away from all electrical devices and wires. Use flashlights to get around rather than attempting to turn on the lights with your generator.
Finally, once you have been able to sort through all the damage, make sure to give our St. Petersburg property restoration company a call. We provide award-winning relief from water and storm damage to home and business-owners alike across the area. Customers trust FP Property Restoration’s services because we are a preferred vendor for over 20 homeowners’ insurance carriers, and provide warranties on all restoration, repair, and remediation work. We even offer emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
To get a team member out to inspect your property within 30 minutes, dial (888) 408-2335 now, or fill out our contact form anytime online.