Mold is a nasty problem to deal with for any home or a business owner. In the wake of a disaster such as a storm, it’s possible for mold to start growing as quickly as 1-2 days. What’s even more alarming is when that mold turns out to be toxic, posing a serious risk to you and anyone else on your property.
To clarify, it’s not that the mold you are dealing with in and of itself is toxic. It’s that certain strains of mold, like the notorious Stachybotrys chartarum—more commonly known as black mold—produce mycotoxins. It’s these mycotoxins that may cause a burning sensation in the throat and lungs, chest pain, persistent coughing, fever, rashes, and migraines. Prolonged exposure to Stachybotrys may lead to serious health issues, including breathing problems, fatigue, sinusitis and other pain in the sinus cavities, and even depression.
Do You Have Toxic Mold in Your Home?
How to tell if you may be dealing with toxic mold in your home:
- Watch out for a nasty smell: The most common sign that you aren’t dealing with any ordinary mold is a musty odor, sort of like rotting dirt of rotting leaves. Mold thrives in dark, damp, humid environments, so follow your nose to cramped spaces in your home if you detect an unusual smell.
- Look for visible growth: While toxic mold often hides in your walls, crawlspace, or attic, sometimes it is out in the open, too. In these cases, you are likely to see dark rings or spots on the ceiling. While this mold is not necessarily toxic, you will want to have an inspection done right away to make sure.
- You continue to see stains, even after you’ve wiped the mold away: It is not advisable to try and clean up mold yourself. However, if you have disinfected and wiped away a moldy area, and continue to notice staining on the walls, it’s probably time to call for that inspection you neglected before.
- Pay attention to the color and consistency: We already talked about black mold above, though it’s more accurate to say that Stachybotrys chartarum has a greenish-black hue. Toxic mold can also have a grayish, soot-like texture, or a slimy, wet surface. In some cases, you may even notice furry orange or brown spots. If you find mold with any of these qualities in your home, don’t get too close, and call a professional right away.
- You start experiencing health problems: If you experience respiratory issues or any of the other symptoms mentioned above, call someone to deal with your mold as soon as possible. Rashes, coughing, and feelings of fatigue are only likely to worsen the longer you wait.
Symptoms of Mold Sickness
If you suspect toxic mold in your home, make sure you pay attention to the potential mold sickness symptoms of yourself and your family.
Some of the most common respiratory & allergy mold sickness symptoms include:
- Shortness Of Breath
- Sore Throat
- Nasal Congestion
- Itchy/ Runny Nose
- Sore Throat
At FP Property Restoration, our Lakeland property restoration experts know exactly how to tell if mold is toxic, and have everything you need to get rid of it. Our process for dealing with mold is 3-pronged: we focus on removal, remediation, and repairs. We also perform comprehensive mold inspection and testing, so we can determine the severity of your mold problem quickly. Remember, even non-toxic mold is bad for your health, so if you find signs of mold on your property, give us a call today.
Call for emergency service at (888) 408-2335, or click here to contact us online.