No one likes living in a home with funky smells. However, there are some odors that can’t just be taken care of with standard cleaning. Consider the kind of smells that linger after a disaster, such as a fire or a storm. There are various nasty fragrances that develop in your house over time too, to the point where they can be difficult to remove without professional assistance. If you have asked yourself “what’s that smell?” recently, keep reading for the signs you need professional odor removal, courtesy of our restoration experts at FP Property Restoration.
5 Smells That Mean You Need Professional Odor Removal
- Sewage: Everyone has smelled that disgusting, raw sewage odor at some point. It’s one of the most instantly unpleasant things to hit your nostrils, and if you detect it in your home, it’s important to act right away. This rotten egg-like smell can linger after your home has suffered water damage, especially if your property has been through severe flooding and experienced standing water. A sewage odor can also be a sign that you need sewage cleanup, which may occur when wastewater makes its way into your water supply, leading to “black water” that can accumulate in your basement or other areas after a disaster. Remember, in addition to its foul smell, sewage water also carries a ton of bacteria and diseases that may be harmful to anyone who comes in contact with it, so always call ASAP if this odor appears in your home.
- Mold & Mildew: Another common side effect from severe water damage is mold growth. Mold and mildew can thrive pretty much anywhere there is excess moisture, and are especially common in dank, dark areas of your home. You will recognize the smell of mold and mildew as being musty and stale, sort of like dirty socks. Once mold spores make it into your air supply and from there, into your lungs, they can end up causing a ton of health problems, including coughing, wheezing, sore eyes, itchy skin, stuffy noses, headaches, nausea, and even joint pain. Fortunately, FP Property Restoration is licensed to perform professional mold remediation, so we can get rid of that musty odor and the toxic mold and mildew that’s the source of it.
- Smoke: Smoke can cling to parts of your home for multiple reasons, such as the after-effects of a serious house fire to cigarette smoke that has built up over time. When the smell of smoke has penetrated your walls and your furniture, simply airing things out or spraying some odor eliminator is not going to be enough to get rid of it. Most likely, you will need professional odor removal and fire/smoke cleanup from a skilled restoration provider like FP Property Restoration. The fine particles in smoke that continue to permeate your house pose a risk to anyone who breathes them in, and can contribute to chronic heart conditions and lung disease, so this is something every homeowner can take seriously. Bottom line: if you’re a smoker, you should quit, or at least start smoking outside, and if your home has recently been damaged by a fire, call for cleanup and odor removal right away.
- Pet Dander: Although not as serious as the issues above, when pet dander accumulates over time, it can leave a severe stench you are not even aware of. As pet dander particles make their way into your air, they can be recirculated by your HVAC system, in turn affecting your indoor air quality and leaving an odor that seeps into multiple parts of your property. While you may end up getting used to that smell over time, your guests surely will not be accustomed to it. If you have a lot of pets, make sure to clean your home regularly and consider installing a high-efficiency air filter, and if you are dealing with a pet dander problem, make sure to call FP Property Restoration. We can also help get this smell out of old homes or businesses, if you are looking to sell a residential or commercial property.
- Rotting Food: The smell of rotting food does not necessarily cling to parts of your property like the other odors mentioned above. That said, if you are dealing with a home or business that has a severe rotten meat smell, it is a good idea to hire a professional. Old food begins to mold over time, which is a problem in and of itself, and as certain foods decompose, the microbes and bacteria in them will produce a pungent smell that’s likely to attract bugs. Sometimes just cleaning and opening a window isn’t enough, so for extreme rotting food smells, count on FP Property Restoration to provide the relief you need.
To schedule odor removal with FP Property Restoration, call (888) 408-2335 now. You can also contact us online.