If you have ever dealt with a mold problem, you probably already know what a nasty pain it can be. As professionally licensed mold remediators, our team at FP Property Restoration knows the damage mold can do firsthand, which is why we offer cutting-edge services to help you stop mold growth and prevent it from reoccurring in the future.
When it comes to Stachybotrys chartarum, aka the notorious “black mold,” you may be extra anxious to get rid of it, as black mold is known for being especially toxic and bad for your health. To that end, many homeowners try to get rid of black mold using bleach—a common solution for smaller mold problems. However, while you can kill black mold using bleach, this often isn’t the best option. Keep reading to learn how to get rid of black mold with bleach, as well as the signs that it’s time to call a professional to deal with your mold problem, courtesy of our experienced mold remediators at FP Property Restoration.
8 Steps to Get Rid of Mold Using Bleach
- Before you begin, make sure your home is properly ventilated. Open windows and doors to let the air in and run window fans and air filters throughout the entire process.
- Put on all necessary protective gear, including rubber gloves, eye goggles, a face mask, and old clothes that you do not mind ruining.
- Mix one cup of bleach into a gallon of water. DO NOT OVERDO THE BLEACH RATIO, as this can lead to a dangerous level of toxic fumes.
- Pour the bleach and water mixture into the spray bottle. Do NOT dump the mixture on the mold directly, as this too can lead to excessive bleach fumes.
- Spray the mixture onto the mold and wait a few minutes before beginning the cleaning process.
- Once the bleach and water mixture has had time to settle, scrub the mold away using a stiff brush—ideally one that is tough and old, which you will not mind throwing away when the cleaning process is done.
- Rinse the mold-affected surface with clean water, wiping it down so the surface is slick but there is no pooling water, and then letting it air dry
- Get rid of anything that has made direct contact with the mold, including cleaning supplies, clothes, or even protective gear. If your mask or goggles have gotten bleach on them, you may want to toss these items, too.
When Your Mold Problem Requires a Professional.
To reiterate, the above steps should only be taken when you have a MILD black mold problem. If you find that your mold problem keeps returning or is getting worse, that you are smelling mold throughout your household, or that structural elements of your property are starting to weaken due to mold, call a professional remediation team like our experts at FP Property Restoration. While many companies claim to be “mold certified,” FP Property Restoration is among the select few that are actually licensed to perform mold remediation. If you are not sure you are dealing with black mold, we offer inspections and testing to confirm you have an issue and to determine the level of treatment needed. And with services like structural drying and dehumidification to help ensure your mold problem does not return, we promise to be there for you every step of the way.
Remember, when mold spores make their way into people’s lungs, they can irritate allergies, exacerbate respiratory problems, and cause coughing, itchy eyes, runny noses, headaches, nausea, and even joint pain. And if you have any immunocompromised people, elderly folks, or children in your family, the effects of black mold can be additionally dangerous. Bleach is all well and good for a small mold problem, but too much bleach is dangerous in and of itself. When it comes to a heavy-duty mold problem, leave the bleach alone, and get a heavy-duty solution with FP Property Restoration.
Call (888) 408-2335 now to schedule an appointment, or send us a message online.